Thursday, October 27, 2016

Bookish Candles: To Burn or Not to Burn

Lately bookish candles have been all the rage in the bookish community. Many book lovers are starting their own soy wax candle companies. I love to see some of my favorite books and bookish characters be represented in candle form. However, when people buy these candles, do they actually use them? Most of the time I see the candles on instagram and they are unlit. Do people just collect the candles for instagram photo shoots? Some people have tons of candles.

I love supporting fellow indie candle makers. I love to take photos of my candles but I also like to use them as well. What is the point of candles if they just sit on the shelf looking all pretty? I understand that some people have emotional attachment to their candles and don't want to use them but what is the purpose of candles besides taking photos of them? You can still take photos to promote your love for the books, characters or setting as well as promoting the indie candle maker. Nevertheless, you can still use the candles for their intended purpose.


Soy wax candles are great for the environment compared to the paraffin wax candles. The candle on cold sniff is usually different from the throw you get from a lit candle. Sometimes upon cold sniff, you might not like the fragrance but once the wax warms up, you may fall in love! Candle fragrances invoke memories. Enjoy the magic a candle can provide.

The throw for a candle is very important to me. If I have to be right next to the candle just to smell it, it's usually an issue for me. I usually buy candles for the scent and I want to smell the fragrance from across the room. However, I will only buy candles for the fragrance that I know I will like. I cannot fathom why people buy candles just because of the name or because of how nice it looks.

I do have to admit aesthetics for a candle is equally important to me as the fragrance. But they go hand and hand. I love good packaging and design. If the candle has good packaging and a wonderful fragrance, I will be more inclined to purchase it. The name of the candle is just the icing on top.


So what do you do with you bookish candles? Do you burn them? Do you only use candles for you photos? Or do you use them for your photo ops but also burn them? Leave your comments below.

5 comments:

  1. I don't own any book-themed candles, and although I love candles, I'm always scared I'm going to knock the candle over and accidentally set my room on fire. I'm that clumsy, seriously. I'd probably be that person who just has it sitting on her shelf to look pretty and maybe use it every once in a while if my room gets stuffy or just needs a bit of butterbeer scent to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep my candle in an area so I won't knock it down because I am clumsy. Wax tarts are a good flameless option. Many candle vendors also sell wax tarts. I totally agree about lighting candles when the room feels a bit stuffy or if you just need a bit of magical HP in the air!

      Delete
  2. I just ordered some bookish candles for the first time and they are lovely looking, and smell great. I definitely intend to use them and burn them, because that is what their purpose is for. I can see that some people might be wary of burning them and maybe knocking it over or spilling the wax, which is why I think you should have a designated area for your candles that is safe and out of the way. I love candles, and I like to use them to brighten up the way a room smells. I also enjoy using them while I am reading and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love lighting candles to set a certain ambience and reading with lit candles. Fragrance definitely invokes memories. I know for those who are scared of the flame, there are plenty of companies that offer wax tarts.

      Delete
  3. Really Amazing!! I have bought wholesale candles from Meredith Bay Candles at reasonable prices. If you want to bulk buy candles, then contact Meredith Bay Candles.

    ReplyDelete