Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's Top Ten Tuesday asks bloggers post about their top ten things that will make them instantly want to read a book. I am a big fan of contemporary books but I do enjoy historical fiction, some thriller, horror and fantasy titles. However, there are certain topics that will want me to read a book even more. The following topics are in no particular order.
1. The Supernatural - It's a no brainer that I am a sucker for anything paranormal related. I love reading about vampires, witches and etc. There is something about the paranormal and the occult that intrigues me.
2. Sisterly relationships - I always like a good book with a healthy and loving sisterly relationship. Because I have a sister, I feel like I can relate to a character who has a sister and seeing how the relationship grows throughout the book.
3. Traveling - I love to travel and I love reading books about characters traveling to somewhere new and out of their comfort zone. Learning about a new culture is refreshing. Reading a book can transport me to another world without me actually traveling myself. I can experience new wonders through the eyes and thoughts of the main character(s).
4. Friendships - Friendships are super important, especially positive and healthy ones. I enjoy reading how people befriend one another and how they blossom as people through a friendship. A friendship is one of the rare things that people can cherish.
5. Coming-of-age - Every since I was a teenager, I've always been drawn to books that are coming-of-age. Maybe it's because I have always been awkward and a bit weird and I wanted to see characters find strength and to discover who they really are. I find comfort in reading books where a character discovers their likes, dislikes and what they want to do in their life. This time of a person's life is difficult and each person paves their own path differently. Sometimes they find their way quickly and others take a little bit more time.
6. Diversity - I have always been big about diversity ever since I was a child. I hardly found books that represented me. Of course I can relate to some issues in some of the books I've read but I felt like no one really understood me fully. I am glad that there has been a push for more diverse books. After all, books are not one fit alls.
8. Magic - Reading a book with magic is entrancing. Being able to immerse yourself in a world of magic is wonderful and it creates this sense of exhilaration. From books like the Harry Potter series to The Night Circus, magic wows many.
9. Food - There is no doubt that I love reading anything that has to do with food whether it's a character eating something or cooking something. Food fuels life and I love to experience what the reader goes through with all five senses.
10. Character growth and development - For me I need to read books with characters who grow. Character development is important to see in a book. The world building and/or plot can be fantastic, but without character growth, it's hard for me to connect with the characters. A good book has to have both a good plot and good character development. Otherwise, characters end up being flat and stagnant.
|Image from Pinterest.com|
What topics intrigue you the most when you are looking for a new book to read?