Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Winter 2018 TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and the meme moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. This week's Top Ten Tuesday asks bloggers to list their top ten winter 2018 TBR books. The following books are in no particular order. 


1. Comet Rising by MarcyKate Connolly is the sequel to Shadow Weaver. I am super excited to read this middle grade novel to find out more about Emmeline and Lucas. Some kids are blessed with special abilities due to the Cerelia Comet. Unfortunately, someone is out the exterminate all the children with these abilities. I don't want to spoil the plot of the first book but let's say I love the friendship between Emmeline and Lucas.


2. Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi is my current read and I heard that if you like Fangirl, you will like this book. Penny and Sam live different lifestyles but fate aligns and their paths meet. All I know is that Sam works at a café and is financially struggling. Penny is trying to figure out her life with a boyfriend who doesn't know anything about her and she has a desire to attend college in Austin,TX while being a writer. Sounds like the perfect book for me!

3. Shout by Laurie Halse Anderson is a searing poetic memoir and call to action during these #metoo and #timesup movements. It's the perfect companion to Anderson's novel, Speak. This memoir is inspired by fans and is written in free verse sharing reflections, rants, and calls to action woven between deeply personal stories from Anderson's life that she has never written about before. I am a huge fan of Laurie Halse Anderson and I cannot wait to read this memoir.


4. An Affair of Poisons by Addie Thorley is a historical fiction novel at it's finest. Mirabelle, an alchemist, helps her mother poison King Louis XIV in France where she finds out many secrets of the Shadow Society her mother belongs to. The royal bastard, Josse de Bourbon, becomes the prince he never meant to be when the Sun King and half the court are assassinated. A deadly poisoner joins a bastard prince in this adventurous story to battle against the Shadow Society.


5. Enchantée by Gita Trelease is a historical fantasy novel imbrued with magic and during French Revolution times. I am currently reading this novel and so far it's fantastic! Camille is an orphan along with her two siblings but she is trying her best to provide for herself and her sister after her brother spent all their savings. Camille ends up pretending to be a baroness in order to keep her and her sister off the streets.


6. Merry Christmas, Little Elliot by Mike Curato is the fifth book in the Little Elliot picture book series. I adore Elliot the elephant and I am a big fan of Curato's books. When I heard about the Christmas book coming up, I was overjoyed. I am hoping to read the book closer to Christmas.


7. Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu is a powerful story of feminism, girls supporting girls and standing up for yourself, your friends and those whose voices are hushed. This novel was recommended by my friend Emma and I recently received it as a #TBTBSanta gift last week. I am excited to dive into this book!


8. The Nutcracker based on the New York City Ballet's version of George Balantine's The Nutcracker and illustrated by Valeria Docampo is a book I purchased the other day at Park Street Books & Toys. Not only is the story timeless but the illustrations are absolutely gorgeous. It's perfect for this time of year to read this traditional story for all ages.


9. A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer is a Beauty and the Beast retelling. Prince Rhen, the heir to Emberfall, is cursed by an enchantress. He repeats the autumn of his 18th year of life over and over again until he is saved by someone who falls in love with him. Harper Lucy lost her father and her mother is dying. Her brother is barely holding the family together and underestimates her due to her cerebral palsy. Can Harper break the curse and save the kingdom?


10. The Beauty of the Moment by Tanaz Bhathena is a contemporary novel about a girl named Susan and a guy named Malcolm. Susan is driven, meets her parents expectations and wants to be an artist. Malcolm is a bad boy who has a reputation and doesn't know what he wants to do with his life. Although they are opposites of each other, they fall for one another. This sounds like a cute read for sure and I am all for it!



What books are on your winter TBR? Do we share any of the same books?

17 comments:

  1. Aw, that 'Nutcracker' book looks breathtaking. Such a prettily put together book. I'm curious about Tanaz's (if I'm thinking of the right book) and have also heard Emergency Contact is a really good read. :) Hope you enjoy all of these, Nicole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I picked the book up because of the gorgeous illustrations but I do love The Nutcracker story. I actually just heard of Tanaz's book this week. Emergency Contact is pretty good so far. I am loving it.

      Delete
  2. I really want to read Shout! It looks like you've got some really interesting selections this Winter. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you are able to read Shout when you have a chance too.

      Delete
  3. I read Enchantée as an ARC. How much did I love it? It's going to be on my January 1st TTT, if that gives you any clue. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enchantée is pretty good so far. I am not that far within the book but I love the characters and plot so far. I am glad you love it too!

      Delete
  4. I LOVED Fangirl, so I guess I should put Emergency Contact a bit higher on my "buy this"-list, huh? Haha.

    Looking forward to reading A Curse so Dark and Lonely! Brigid Kemmerer has been one of my favorite authors for a while now so I can't see how she'd disappoint. :)

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fangirl is one of my favorite books so when I heard Emergency Contact being compared to Fangirl, I knew I had to pick the novel up. I am loving it so far!

      I never read anything by Brigid Kemmerer but A Curse so Dark and Lonely definitely piqued my interest.

      Delete
  5. So many of these sound great! I really like the sound of An Affair of Poisons and Enchantee. Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot get enough of good historical fiction! I hope you are able to read An Affair of Poisons and Enchantée.

      Delete
  6. A Curse So Dark and Lonely and Enchantee are both on my list this week. Hope you enjoy your books and have a fabulous week. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I am glad we share a couple of the same titles on our TTT this week.

      Delete
  7. A Curse So Dark and Lonely and Enchantee were both on my list this week too! I read Moxie this year and really enjoyed it, so I hope you do too :)
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/12/18/top-ten-tuesday-190/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like both books are on a lot of people's lists and for good reasons too. I am glad you enjoyed Moxie :).

      Delete
  8. I am looking forward to A Curse So Dark and Lovely. I am worried that it might be too focused on romance for my liking, but I do love a good retelling.

    Carmen`s Reading Corner

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to read A curse so dark and lovely and Enchantee next year.

    https://tbrandbeyond.com/2018/12/18/top-ten-tuesday-6-winter-tbr/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you like all of these! I'm about to read Enchantee myself at the start of the new year. Emergency Contact was really cute! Annnd, Shout and An Affair of Poisons both sound really great.

    ReplyDelete