Wednesday, June 14, 2017

BookExpo 2017: Day 2 Recap


BookExpo (previously known is BookExpo America) is book industry trade show that will took place May 31, 2017 to June 2, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York City. This is an awesome event to network, to learn about upcoming titles and to immerse yourself in everything bookish. BookExpo is the leading book and author event for the North American publishing industry. I was fortunate enough to attend this year as an educator and blogger. I only attended the expo on June 1st and June 2nd. Check out my recap for Day 1 of BookExpo here.

Day 2 of BookExpo

Selina and I woke up around 7:30, got ready and went to Starbucks for a quick breakfast before gathering all of belongings to bring to Javits. We Ubered to the Javits and checked all of our bags since we plan to head to Penn Station from the Javits in the afternoon. This time we got to the Javits earlier than the previous day and had time to skim through the Show Daily for last minute galley giveaways. I was successful in securing a copy of There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins which was one of the priority books of the day. It was dropped right when the Exhibit Hall opened and I am so glad to be one of the lucky ones to get a copy.

I went to Macmillan to get a ticket for the 10:00 Dan Santat's  signing before heading to Penguin for the 9:30 Celeste Ng signing. Celeste was signing Little Fires Everywhere. Although she is lives locally to where I live, I wanted to meet her for the first time since I wasn't able to attend any of her events when her debut book came out. Her line was fairly long but the wait wasn't too bad. She is so nice too. I was able to chat with her for a bit while she signed my copy.

I went to Macmillan afterwards and stood in line to get a copy of After the Fall (How Humpty Dumpty Got Back Up Again). I was chatting with a librarian behind me who traveled from Virginia for BookExpo. Her sister was also in the city but she was sightseeing. I found out she was planning to head to Boston after the BookExpo on the weekend to visit for a few days. Of course I had to ask what her plans were and gave some suggestions. I love how Macmillan entertained people waiting in line with those cartoon cutouts where you put your head in. We also got After the Fall tote bags too. They are fairly big and have a front pocket.

Afterwards, I went to the Autographing Area to get a copy of You'll Never Know, Dear by Hallie Ephron signed. I met Shelley Michael who wrote All Aboard. Unfortunately, I did not get a ticket for Jan Brett but that's okay since Jan Brett line was super long. The line for Jason Reynolds was too long and apparently Simon & Schuster cut the line fairly early for Long Way Down. Jason Reynolds is pretty amazing. I managed to meet him a couple times at past events. I did manage to stop by to get a copy of The South's Best Butts: Pitmaster Secrets for Southern Barbecue Perfection by Matt Moore. Matt couldn't make it to the signing because his daughter was born the previous day. Congrats to Matt!

I ended up taking a lunch break and went to retrieve my left overs from the previously day from my suitcase after I dropped off my books. I met up with Selina in the food court to relax, eat and to chat for a bit. I had a lot of free time since my next thing on my schedule wasn't until 1:30ish.

MarcyKate signing Shadow Weaver
I went to the Exhibit Hall after eating and just walked around until about 15 minutes before the Shadow Weaver signing at Sourcebooks. MarcyKate Connolly was signing galleys of her upcoming MG fantasy novel called Shadow Weaver. This title is my second priority book of the day. I have met MarcyKate several times and it was nice seeing her again. I wasn't able to meet Kerri Maniscalco in person at BEA because of her signing line being so short. I was hoping to see her on the floor between signings but no avail. I have a copy of her upcoming book, Hunting Prince Dracula, and I didn't want to take time away from those who want to get an ARC signed. Kerri will be attending the Boston Teen Author Festival in September so I will definitely have a chance to chat with her then.

I probably stood in line to see Anna-Marie McLemore for awhile. That line was fairly long but I wanted to say hi and also to obtain a copy of Wild Beauty. I was surprised Anna-Marie said I looked familiar and asked if we met up sometime in the past. We did meet for the first time last year at ALA Midwinter in Boston. Crazy how she vaguely remembered me. She is too sweet and I love how she signed galleys with a teal sharpie!

Julie Dao signing Forest of a Thousand Lanterns
The next and last thing I did for the day was to meet Julie Dao who wrote Forest of a Thousand Lanterns! That's my last priority for the day and every minute waiting was worth it! Marci, Ashley and I didn't have to wait too long. Julie is oh so nice! She remembered me on twitter and we chatted about the upcoming title and I mentioned about how Melody kept raving about the book.

Selina had one more signing while I retrieved my bags and reorganized my books in my luggage. I
met up with Selina and after she got her bags and we Ubered to Penn Station for our train that was departing around 4:40ish. We got there at 4:00 to give us time to get food and do a bathroom trip. Unfortunately, our train was delayed an hour or so so we chilled in the waiting room the whole entire time. I couldn't wait to arrive at South Station in Boston. I felt like the trip home took forever. Selina and I hugged and said our farewells before I took the silver line to the airport where by boyfriend picked me up to head home.

Overall, BookExpo and NYC was a memorable trip even though Selina and I were only there for about 50 hours. I thought it might be my last trip to BookExpo but I might end up going next year since it will be in NYC once again. Some of my favorite moments including new people in lines and chatting with them and having mini chats with Emma from Miss Print and Nicole from The Bookbandit Blog. I am glad I was able to see Emma and Nicole at least a couple times during BookExpo even though it was for a short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment