Friday, May 1, 2015

BEA Tips (Part Five): Etiquette


Remember, BEA is a trade industry event. Etiquette is super important especially when a huge crowd of people are in such a small space. You want to be polite, courteous and patient.

If you missed part 1,  part 2part 3  or part 4 of my BEA series, make sure to check the previous posts out.

Tip # 1:  Don't take everything that is handed to you. Take books you know you will read.

At first you will be overwhelmed with all the free stuff you can take. But think about it, how are you going to bring all of that stuff home. Are you going to read the book? Or are you just taking it because it's free? Prioritizing what books you want ahead of time will help alleviate some of the stress. However, sometimes you might stumble upon a book you were not aware of prior to BEA but definitely are interested in reading said book. Just don't be too grabby. You want make sure there are plenty of ARCs for everyone. Be selective!

This year I am limiting myself to books that I am super excited about reading. Not only will my bags be lighter but I will have a small but amazing collection of books that I know I will read instead a big pile of books that I might read.

Tip # 2: Chat with other BEA Attendees

Waiting in a line? It doesn't hurt to meet other book loving people! They don't bite! Who knows, you might meet a new friend. You never know who you will meet at BEA. Be open minded. Also, if you are unsure what a line is for, ask a fellow person in the line. I am sure they are more than willing to let you know what the line is for. Same goes for if someone picked up an ARC or tote bag you are dying to have. Ask nicely. Everyone at BEA is super helpful.

Tip # 3: Be patient. Be respectful.

I understand that it will get crowded at the Javits but there is no reason why you need to push and shove people. This is not the Hunger Games. ARCs are not weapons and supplies at the cornucopia.  Please be patient and treat everyone with respect. Remember, this is an industry trade event. Publishers are working at the booths and many meetings are taking place at BEA. If you meetup with someone at BEA, please do not block the aisles. Please stand on the sidelines or find somewhere to sit down to chit chat.

Tip # 4: Recognize the staff for what they do.

The BEA staff is doing everything they can run the expo as smooth as possible. Things happen and most often it is not the fault of  the person that you talk to. Do not blame and point fingers at a staff member. They are trying to do everything they can. Make sure to be courteous. I am sure they will try to help as much as they can or refer you to someone that you address your problem or concern.

Tip # 5: Stay calm and collected. 

Take a breath and take one step at a time. Do not stress out. BEA is a fun social event to network with others and to discover new authors and books. Do not get upset because you meet a certain author or obtain a certain book. It is not the end of the world. You can always pick up the book at a later time via library or through purchasing it at the bookstore. I am sure authors will be visiting your home state so take advantage of those events.

2 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed seeing the posts you put together this year with BEA tips and tricks. I wish I had found something similar when I was preparing for my first BEA a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I enjoyed reading up BEA posts before attending my first BEA last year. They are extremely helpful and I wanted to help others out as well.

      Delete