1. The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi is a stunning and beautifully written fantasy/retelling that you are sure to love! Chokshi's debut is fantastic and I cannot wait for her sophomore novel, A Crown of Wishes, to be published next year.
2. When We Collided by Emery Lord touches upon mental illness, dealing with loss, acceptance, love, family and friendship. This coming-of-age novel is a must read for everyone. The ending is bittersweet but it works very well.
3. Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum is a contemporary that touches on issues such as being the new kid in school, loss of a family member, having a parent remarry and learning what it means to be happy. If you enjoy The Start of Me and You, check out this novel!
4. Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch is a contemporary novel set in Florence, Italy. You will fall in love in one of the most romantic places on Earth! This is an excellent read if you like books such as Anna and the French Kiss.
5. Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco is a suspenseful debut and will keep you guessing throughout the whole novel about who the murderer is. If you like historical fiction and thrillers, this is a book for you!
6. The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkoski is the perfect ending to The Winner's Trilogy! I can't say too much about this installment, but if you've read The Winner's Curse and The Winner's Crime, definitely pick up this epic book!
7. Starflight by Melissa Landers is the first book in the Starflight trilogy. If you're a sci-fi and adventure fan, you might want to check out this novel. Also, the companion novel, Starfall, is coming out next year!
8. The Secret of a Heart Note by Stacey Lee is a heartfelt contemporary novel with some aspects of magical realism that will capture all of your senses! It's such a cute book and you can't go wrong with mother/daughter bonding and sister/sister bonding. Through some perfumes, flowers and essences, you will be entranced!
9. Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi is a whimsical middle grade novel for fans of Harry Potter and Alice in Wonderland. Furthermore is a coming-of-age story about acceptance, embracing your talents and discovering your deepest desires.
10. How to Hang a Witch by Adrianna Mather is the perfect autumnal read or for those who love anything to do with Salem. It's one part Mean Girls, one part Sleepy Hollow and one part Hocus Pocus.
Bonus (Books coming out in 2017)
11. The Last Harvest by Kim Liggett doesn't release until January but it is definitely on my list of favorite reads of 2016. If you love horror, read this novel!!! The Last Harvest is chilling to the bone and exquisitely twisted! You won't regret it!
12. Caraval by Stephanie Garber is a magical debut novel that lures you in from the first page. This novel doesn't release until 2017 but I had to add this to my best reads of 2016 list. Join Scarlett on an adventure of a life time. After all, it's only a game, right? This novel will suit readers who enjoy The Night Circus, The Crown's Game and The Hunger Games.
What are some of your favorite reads of 2016? Do we share any of the same novels?