Thursday, November 17, 2016

My First Time Listening to Audio Books

On November 11, 2016, I listened to my first audio book. Of course I didn't hesitate to listen to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling and read by Jim Dale. Not only is Jim Dale an amazing narrator but experiencing Harry Potter through audio book is a different experience. Not only can I blog and check up on twitter but I can be immersed into the wizarding world of Harry Potter at the same time.

I have read the Harry Potter series countless of times via physical book and a few times on the Nook. I love to listen to the Harry Potter soundtracks and I love to watch the films. No matter what avenue I follow, I always get my Harry Potter fix in a magical way.

Audio books are great for the multi-tasker. Since we are nearing the holidays, I am finding it difficult to manage many tasks once I get home from work. From cooking, chores, blogging, making gifts to planning events, I hardly have any time to read as well. I have been having an extremely difficult time at work with many transitions and sometimes I don't want to do too many things after I get out of work. Here is when the audio book comes in. The audio book is a life saver when I am doing chores like folding laundry or doing dishes. Boring chores fly by faster when listening to an audio book. I walk to work but I know many of my friends like to listen to audio books on their commutes to and from work. It makes their commute go by faster.

However, there is still something delightful when reading a book. Nothing can replace the wonderful dust jacket art, the end papers or the sight and touch of a naked book.  Reading a book involves all the senses for a full reading experience. There is something about the smell of the ink and pages. I love touching the textures of the spine, covers and the paper. Reading about food makes my mouth water and I love the sound of the pages flipping.

Pottermas 2016 is around the corner and listening to the audio books for part of the Harry Potter re-read is more doable to finish in 4-6 weeks. I plan to alternate listening to the audio book and reading either the e-book or finished copy. I get the best of all the worlds this way!


What do you think of audio books? Do you listen to them a lot?

2 comments:

  1. I listened to audiobooks for the first time this year too! Like you I started with Harry Potter, but I have the Stephen Fry versions, and I thought it was a brilliant way to return to a favourite book! Of course, I only listen to audiobooks in the car so it has taken me months to get through the whole series. Like you, I don't think I'll fully convert to audiobooks though. I like physical books far too much for that.

    Lauren @ My Expanding Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to listen to the Stephen Fry versions! I am glad that you are able listen to audio books in the car and still enjoy your physical books.

      Delete