Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan

Title: The Blood of Olympus
Author: Rick Riordan
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication date:  October 7, 2014
Pages: 502
Source/format: Purchased, hardcover

Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

Though the Greek and Roman crewmembers of the Argo II have made progress in their many quests, they still seem no closer to defeating the earth mother, Gaea. Her giants have risen—all of them—and they're stronger than ever. They must be stopped before the Feast of Spes, when Gaea plans to have two demigods sacrificed in Athens. She needs their blood—the blood of Olympus—in order to wake.

The demigods are having more frequent visions of a terrible battle at Camp Half-Blood. The Roman legion from Camp Jupiter, led by Octavian, is almost within striking distance. Though it is tempting to take the Athena Parthenos to Athens to use as a secret weapon, the friends know that the huge statue belongs back on Long Island, where it "might" be able to stop a war between the two camps.

The Athena Parthenos will go west; the Argo II will go east. The gods, still suffering from multiple personality disorder, are useless. How can a handful of young demigods hope to persevere against Gaea's army of powerful giants? As dangerous as it is to head to Athens, they have no other option. They have sacrificed too much already. And if Gaea wakes, it is game over.


My Thoughts:
Seven half-bloods shall answer the call,
To storm or fire the world must fall.
An oath to keep with a final breath, 
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death 
-The Prophecy of Seven in The Blood of Olympus
Can I say that this final installment was beyond EPIC! I was looking forward to this book since I finished reading The House of Hades. What I loved the most in this book is how the relationships between the demigods strengthened.

The way Riordan builds the friendship between Reyna and Nico is perfect. I've always loved Nico. He is always brooding and thinking everyone doesn't want to be friends with him or to be near the son of Hades. But there is something about his personality that I love. The fact that he has some of the coolest powers makes it even better. I was super glad that he has found a place to call home and he does find a certain someone by the end of the book.

I wasn't too fond of Reyna when I first met her in the beginning of the Heroes of Olympus series but I absolutely love her in this installment. I loved how readers are able to learn more about her past and how she reunites with her sister. Reyna and Nico working together was perfect. I don't want to spoil it for everyone but Reyna has a pretty cool power that is used in conjunction with Nico's.

Another friendship I loved is the one between Annabeth and Piper. Annabeth usually takes charge in most situations but there is one situation where she places her faith in Piper's hands. Annabeth is scared in one scene in the book. She doubts Piper half the time but finally trusts Piper and not because Piper can Charmspeak.

My favorite passage between the two is the following:
"You cut the rope," Annabeth said. We're going to die down here!"
"...Fear can't be reasoned with. Neither can hate. They're like love. They're almost identical emotions. That's why Ares and Aphrodite like each other. The twins--Fear and Panic--were spawned from both war and love."
"But I don't...this doesn't make sense."
"No," Piper agreed. "Stop thinking about it. Just feel."
"I hate that."
"I know. You can't plan for feelings. Like with Percy and your future--you can't control every contingency. You have to accept that. Let it scare you. Trust that's it'll be okay anyway."
Annabeth shook her head. I don't know if I can."
"Then for right now, concentrate on the revenge of Damasen. Revenge for Bob."
A moment of silence. I'm good now." 
-Page 206
Annabeth finally admits that she is scared and that she needs help. It's very hard for her to let her guard down but she finally trusts Piper to lead the way.

Also, can I say John Rocco is an amazing artist! I absolutely love his artwork on the cover. And Disney-Hyperion did an awesome job choosing purple for the clothbound and orange for the inner lining. It's absolutely perfect for The Blood of Olympus.

Everyone knows that Riordan plans to write another series set in Boston with a boy named Magnus Chase. Everyone knows Annabeth's last name is Chase. Lo and behold that Magnus Chase is related to Annabeth.
"And my dad's relatives...I haven't thought about them in years. I have an uncle and a cousin in Boston."
-Page 393 
DUN DUN DUN! No one will know until The Sword of Summer of Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard is released.

Do the demigods succeed in bringing the Athena Parthenos to Camp Half-Blood? Do both camps unite together to defeat Gaea and her minions? Go and read The Blood of Olympus now! You will not regret it!


No comments:

Post a Comment