Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Girl Geeks by Sam Maggs

Title: The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Girl Geeks
Author: Sam Maggs

Publisher: Quirk Books
Publication date: May 12, 2015
Pages: 208
Source/format: Hardcover from Quirk Books! Thank you Quirk Books!

Rating: ☆☆☆

Synopsis (from Goodreads.com):

Fanfic, cosplay, cons, books, memes, podcasts, vlogs, OTPs and RPGs and MMOs and more—it’s never been a better time to be a girl geek. The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy is the ultimate handbook for ladies living the nerdy life, a fun and feminist take on the often male-dominated world of geekdom. With delightful illustrations and an unabashed love for all the in(ternet)s and outs of geek culture, this book is packed with tips, playthroughs, and cheat codes for everything from starting an online fan community to planning a convention visit to supporting fellow female geeks in the wild.  

My Thoughts:

"Fandom has given me a voice to advocate for the things I'm passionate about."

The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Girl Geeks is the perfect book for all girl geeks out there! Seriously from the moment I received the book, I was flipping through the pages reading pretty much everything. I read the book in less than two days and I will definitely be referencing this book quite often. I love how Sam Maggs covers a wide variety of geeky topics such as fandoms, conventions, cosplaying and fan fiction. It's like she knows me. There is no shame in loving fan fiction or geeking over comics no matter what the age. It's okay to be passionate and dedicated to something you love. If it makes you happy, do it. I enjoyed reading interviews about other women who describe themselves as fangirls and how being fangirls positively influenced their lives.

Being able to share the same love for something I love so much with others means a great deal to me. I pretty much died when I saw all the Harry Potter and Sailor Moon references. I fell in love with Harry Potter since the first day I started reading the books and I have immersed myself into the wonderful world of being a Potterhead. I love every aspect of the fandom whether it be fan fiction, conventions, meet ups, watching Quidditch or attending release parties/movie screenings. Thank you Maggs for writing The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy. I know I am not alone. I have others that I can geek out with and it's okay. I am doing what I love and I am connecting with others who love to do what I do. Not only is the book relatable but I love learning more terminology about other fandoms and geeky topics that I am not as familiar with. There is something for everyone.

Where was this book when I was a teenager? It would have definitely helped me with my self-esteem and finding out who the real Nicole is. The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy is empowering. For those who think they are a bit weird and don't fit in with the mainstream, this will help them know that it is okay to like things like Zelda or LARPing. It is okay to be who you are. Maggs encourages readers to stay true to themselves. I would highly recommend this book to all my friends and also to my students. It's a pretty through guide to everything geeky and nerdy.

In terms of packaging, I love the size of the book and the book is fabulous with the dust jacket on or with it off. The colors are on point and the hand drawn items on the naked book are too cute for words.

No comments:

Post a Comment