Monday, January 16, 2017

2017 Bookish Resolutions

January is finally here and I still can't believe it's 2017! Boy did 2016 fly by fast! Although 2016 was chock full of amazing events and I met so many people, there were a lot of bumps in the road for my personal life. I am ready to see what 2017 brings me this year! This year I want to take my time to fully enjoy everything from reading to attending events. I have already set some resolutions for myself for this year.

Not setting a book challenge for myself. 

In the past years, I have committed to book challenges and I feel like it adds pressure for me to finish books by a certain time. Instead of pushing myself to read certain books or to read a certain quantity of books, I want to slow it down and take my time. I want to indulge in what I want to read at the moment and not have to follow a set reading schedule. I want to immerse myself into different worlds where I can get lost into. I want to learn more about others and be there when they need someone the most. And I want to fall in love with books that I can add to my favorites list. Although you see a challenge set for Goodreads to 50 books, I only set a challenge so I can keep track of my books for 2017. Fifty books for me is not a challenge.

Blog when I want to blog and to blog what I want to blog about.

The blog is mainly a book blog but there will be some features where I combine my love for books with something else. Pages to Tea is a feature that showcases book and tea pairings. Typography Talk is a feature discussing cover art design.

I do talk about Harry Potter quite often and that will continue.  With events such as MISTI-Con coming up, there will be a lot of Harry Potter posts listed on the blog. I still have yet to post about individual panels I attended at Leviosa Con, so I hope to have some of those up this year as well. Of course there is ongoing Fantastic Beasts news and movies, so there will be a lot of content about that on this blog as well.

I have been dabbling about whether to include a feature tying in recipes with books since I already included a couple Harry Potter ones within the past couple of years. It would be nice to make food and drinks that are mentioned in the books and to share the recipes with my readers. How awesome would it be to make Levi's Pumpkin Mocha Breve from Fangirl or Vika's favorite Blini with strawberry jam from The Crown's Game?

Depending on my creativity this year, I might start up a feature with bookish inspired nail art. I've always loved painting my nails since its so therapeutic but it would be so much fun to paint nails to match book covers. My first post featuring nail art will be on February 15th as part of The Crown's Fate promo tour.

Read more and promote indie/underrepresented books

With the book hype monster running around, some of the smaller titles need to love too! I want to read more titles that catch my interest that aren't hyped up as much. Not only will the book and author get more representation, I will be able to share with my readers titles of books they might not have come across.

Reading more non-YA books

Although I mainly read YA books, I want to start reading more MG and adult books. I want to read more picture books as well as graphic novels and manga. It's always to be more of a well rounded reader instead of gravitating to only one type of genre or type of book. You never know, maybe I will find a new love for something that isn't YA.


What are your bookish resolutions for the new year?

2 comments:

  1. I love your goals! I feel like a lot of book bloggers aren't really setting any reading goals for this year because they don't want to feel pressured to read books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't blame bloggers for not setting up reading goals or challenges. It's nice not to be pressured to read a certain amount of books or to read a certain type of book. It's like a weight is lifted off your shoulders when you can read what you want to read when you want to read it. Same goes for blogging.

      Delete