Thursday, May 25, 2017

MISTI-Con 2017: Day 1 Recap

MISTI-Con 2017 was absolutely fantastic! It was my third time attending MISTI-Con and it certainly won't be my last. As mentioned in previous posts, MISTI-Con is located in Laconia, NH at the Margate Resort. This year, the convention provided a way for Potterheads to return home for a 20 year celebration of Harry Potter. At the Margate, we are allowed to have full reign of the hotel and grounds sans Muggles! The Margate lets MISTI-Con use their whole entire facility for programming, events, meet ups, etc. Pretty much the hotel was transformed into Hogwarts for 5 days.

DAY 1: THURSDAY, MAY 18, 2017

I got up at a reasonable time in order to pack last minute items before Alberto picked me up to head toward New Hampshire. We picked up Jess in Manchester before grabbing lunch at Subway before heading toward the Margate Resort for 5 days of magic in Laconia.

When we entered the Margate, we walked onto Platform 9 3/4 and arrived at Hogsmeade to start our journey toward Hogwarts. It was a wonderful feeling even though it was a 90+ degree day. It was simply magical. We had to wait about 30-45 minutes to check into our room but in the meantime, Alberto, Jess and I ran into Seamus and we decided to pick up our badges. Seamus and I were trying to figure where Krissy was. We looked through our registration bags and we found our badge, troll bogey candies, Puffs shot glass and some other promotional items. I also purchased a MISTI-Con T-shirt back when they had the early bird fundraiser. It's fantastic!!! Krissy finally made it to the Margate with time to spare before her tealogy panel.

Alberto was able to check in and we got the keys to our room. It's so nice to be back at the Margate. The staff are super nice and the Margate was made to be a makeshift Hogwarts for the family reunion. Coming back home was exhilarating. It was worth the 2 year wait!

I skipped out on the cosplay for today since it was way too hot to wear layers. I decided to wear my Hogwarts skater dress. Unfortunately, I left half my cosplay pieces at home such as my robes, two white short sleeve shirts, a skirt with keys on it and two dresses. However, I made do with what I had and still had a blast because of course MISTI-Con is what you make of the con.

The Lakeside building is where we ended up staying at and it was decked out with some awesome fan art. There were some afternoon programming before the Opening Feast at 7:00. Alberto and I went to Shaw's to grab waters and some food to eat throughout the next 5 or so days.

I was able to pick up my Pygmy Puff that my friend Nick made me. It is blue and bronze and shining brightly as a Ravenclaw. The best thing is that there is a pull string that makes the Pygmy Puff dance. I love it so much!

The Opening Feast was spectacular despite the raging heat beating on us. My roomies and I ended up sitting with Seamus, Krissy and Kelly and the feast. Although we were in the main tent, the air quality was horrendous. I was so hot just sitting. The Main Tent transformed into the Great Hall complete with a welcoming, a sorting ceremony, a grand feast as well as some entertainment. The Harp Twins swept me off my feet with their beautiful music. I love how Camille and Kennerly were able to play movie and TV show theme songs and classic rock on harps.

The food was pretty good. I had turkey, roast beef, butternut squash, cranberry chutney, cold pickled beets, coleslaw and a roll. Everyone had glasses of water and there was a cash bar for those who want Harry Potter specialty drinks. 

My roomies and I left the feast a bit early to retire back to the room since it was so hot. Thank goodness for AC! I immediately changed into PJs after a nice refreshing shower. I wandered the Margate for a bit and was able to catch a bit of Whose Wand is it Anyways? with Jess.

I actually went to bed around 11:30 pm on Thursday night knowing that the other days will be exhausting and possible full of late nights.


Don't forget to check out the remaining days of MISTI-Con sometime this week. You can also search the hashtag #NicoleAtMISTICon on Instagram for some photos.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was a blast! I always have fun every time I go to MISTI-Con but any Harry Potter con is a fantastic experience.

      Delete