Monday, August 20, 2018

To All The Boy's I've Loved Before Film Review

Image from medium.com
I cried and laughed during this film adaptation of To All The Boy's I've Loved Before. I watched it three times this weekend. Not only is the film well casted but it captures the essence of the book with the same title. To All The Boy's I've Loved Before, the novel, is one of my favorite books of all time. Actually, I love the whole trilogy. Jenny Han wrote a book that I can re-read again and again and I will never get sick of it. I see myself in Lara Jean Song Covey and can relate to her love for baking, love for vintage things, love for writing letters and the fact that she has great taste in style. If you haven't noticed the ice blue pops of color throughout the film, you must know that I am all for it! I have to say that everything in the film is aesthetically pleasing.

Viewers follow Lara Jean on a path of finding herself. When she starts "dating" Peter Kavinsky, her father hasn't seen her this happy for a long time. This happiness reminds him of Lara Jean's mom when she was alive. Dr. Covey wants his daughter to be happy. Even Lara Jean's friend, Chris, notices that Lara Jean is happier with Peter.

Peter challenges Lara Jean to step outside of her comfort zone. Although a hot tub video popped up, Lara Jean musters the courage to stand up for herself. Peter also stands up for her as well. There is one scene at the Corner Cafe where Lara Jean admits that she is scared to be in a relationship and that's why she doesn't have a boyfriend. Lara Jean is scared that if she lets people in, she will lose them...just like her mother. I feel that this scene is very important and I am glad it was in the film.

The relationship between Dr. Covey and his daughters shows a very positive and supportive family dynamic. Although there may be same squabbles between the Song Covey sisters, the sisterly love between Margot, Lara Jean and Kitty is strong. This romantic comedy is the perfect combination of humor, mostly through Kitty, to endearing love notes and the connection that Lara Jean and Peter have.

To All the Boys I've Loved Before shows how everyone doesn't have the perfect family with two parents and a couple of kids living in a nice house with happy lives. Lara Jean lost her mother at a young age and Peter's father walked about on his family and is remarried and has another family. A lot of people can relate to both family dynamics.

This is one of the very few Asian led films I've seen in a long time and I love that there is Asian representation in a young adult book to film adaptation. Hollywood has a long history of whitewashing and I am glad to see Asian actresses play the Song Covey sisters. Representation matters! Also, who noticed Jenny Han's cameo in the film? The film adaptation is well casted and the soundtrack is perfect!

Can I say that having JAM at the end of the film is the perfect segway into a sequel? Great call for including that scene at the end of the film. I would love to see P.S. I Still Love You turn into a film adaptation! If you haven't read the To All the Boys I've Loved Before trilogy, please read them! Also, please root for more films!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read the book, but I have heard of the series! I've also seen the movie advertised on Goodreads for the last month. I'm happy to hear it was everything you wanted! It's always such a relief whenever a movie is able to capture the story well. There have been a few that made me cringe.

    Would you recommend watching the movie before reading the book, or reading the series before watching the movie? I know it can depend on the book sometimes.

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete