Thursday, October 10, 2019

Where To Find Me At LeakyCon 10

This weekend is LeakyCon 10 and it’s my first time attending a LeakyCon. The first LeakyCon was hosted in Boston 10 years ago and LeakyCon is returning back to Boston to celebrate its 10th anniversary. LeakyCon is the most well knowns and largest Harry Potter convention around. I have been other Harry Potter conventions before like MISTI-Con, Leviosa and Ascendio but never a LeakyCon. This year, LeakyCon is taking place at the Seaport Hotel and the World Trade Center from Friday, Ocotber 11th to Sunday, October 13th. There was another LeakyCon 9 ¾  took place Dallas, TX during the summer of this year. LeakyCon will be taking place in Orlando, FL in 2020.

I was not able to attend the first LeakyCon due to attending Anime Boston which happened during the same weekend as the first LeakyCon. Although I heard mixed things about LeakyCon, Boston is super close to where I live and I figured I would give the con a chance. I will be doing a recap of my experience sometime later this month.

I have a handful of friends who live in the Boston area or so who will be attending the con. I am planning to meet up with my friend Jess for part of the con. She can only attend Saturday and Sunday but I am ecstatic she is able to attend. A few friends are flying/driving up to Boston. However, I am excited to meet new people while reuniting with old friends.

There are a lot of programming I am looking forward to but I pretty pumped to see what the LeakyCon Marketplace has to offer. There are so many fantastic vendors attending such as Elhoffer Design, BUNCEandBEAN, Jordandené, Fox Estacado Arts, Lauren Fairweather, The Color Geek and Waxspurts Candle Co. to name a few. Unfortunately, Riddle’s Tea Shoppe will not be able to attend this year.

WHERE TO FIND ME

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 11th

Registration opens at 8:30 am tomorrow, Friday, October 11th. I am hoping to travel to Boston a bit earlier to get some food before picking up my badge at will call. I normally travel into Boston during the weekdays for work, so it’s not a huge deal for me to travel into Boston. My commute ranges from 1-2 hours, depending on traffic.

Since I was fortunate to get a Marauder’s Pass through a transfer for a very good price, I am planning to take advantage of the early opening to the Marketplace which opens at 9:00 am for Marauder pass holders. Normally the Marketplace opens at 10:00 am for general admission.

Afterwards, I wanted to check out some of the following programming events: Spotlight: Stanislav Yanevski, Science in Harry Potter, Harry Potter in the Age of Activism: Why S.P.E.W. Failed and Dumbledore’s Army Thrived, Wait and See: Gatekeeping in the Wizarding World and Beyond and Fantastic Scores and Who Conducts Them. Unfortunately, there a bunch of panels going on the same time so I have to miss out on some since there are so many amazing panels competing against each other. I want to attend the Ravenclaw Meetup but it’s during the same time as Wait and See: Gatekeeping in the Wizarding World and Beyond. Wait and See is a panel that is a must for me!

I am planning to meet up with a group of friends who attended MISTI-Con for dinner to end the day. 

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 12TH

I am torn about whether to start my day with Spotlight: Wizarding World Actors or J.K. Rowling, Giftedness, and the Ghost of Ravenclaw. I really wish these two weren’t at the same time slot because both sound fabulous! Lorrie Kim always has some of the best panel presentations. An Excess of "Phlegm" and the Lack of Femme and Wandlore: An Ancient and Mysterious Magic are both during the second time slot. During mid-day, Time Travel in the Wizarding World: The When, the How, the Why, and the When will take place and at the end of the day I definitely want to attend the Potterheads of Color Meetup.

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 13TH

This day is chock full of so many fantastic programming events that it will be hard to decide what to do. I need a time turner for this day! I will be starting my day with Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Harry Potter Cosplay. Two other panels are running during the same time as the cosplay panel. I am also interested in Managing The Hogwarts Houses and Ethnic Communities in the Wizarding World. I am super stoked about the MuggleCast Live! event. I have been a MuggleCast podcast listener ever since they launched in 2005ish. You Cannot Deny, the Wizarding World's Got Style is also running during the same time slot as the MuggleCast Live!

The Potter Puppet Pals Performance is going to be hilarious. I always love a good Potter Puppet Pals show. Potter Puppet Pals usually perform at the Yule Ball at the Mideast in Cambridge, MA in December. I also saw them at ConnectiCon years back. Neil and co are such a great team orchestrating some of the best Harry Potter comic relief.

I must attend the  Spotlight: Dan Fogler event. I am a huge Fantastic Beasts fan and I cannot wait to hear more about Dan and his role as Jacob Kowalski. Speaking of Dan Folger, I am planning to do a photo op with him on Sunday. I will end my day with Obscurus and Patronus: Expressions of the Soul in the Wizarding World and Credence: Human or Beast?


Will you be attending LeakyCon 10? If so, please let me know and maybe we can meet up! 


No comments:

Post a Comment